There are not very many things that qualify me as a “typical girl” but one thing that does is that I absolutely LOVE to shop. I hate the way that even sounds coming out of my mouth but it’s true. However, I mostly love to shop online and I pride myself on finding good deals. Also, I refuse to pay full price. I have a bunch of discount sites bookmarked that I check for coupon codes before I check out at any online store. You can find a discount code for nearly every store on the internet and If they aren’t listed on any of my standard sites, I just google it. I’m like a discount ninja…NEVER PAY FULL PRICE! That’s what I tell myself to avoid feeling like a “typical girl”.
Ok, it seems that guys tend to have more of a difficult time shopping for women than the other way around so we discussed some ideas for guys who have no clue. If you have no clue, don’t feel bad because you’re not alone. Here are a few ideas to get you started and point you in the right direction. If you want to shop online then do it on December 17th!! I know it’s short notice, but that’s just a few hours away. This is the date a lot of stores have free shipping online and additional discounts. They’re trying to clear out all of their inventory before Christmas comes and goes so this is the date they really get the ball rolling – I read that somewhere so I assume it’s true. Check out http://www.gifts.com or http://www.uncommongoods.com for clever/unique gift ideas or you can go to Amazon.com and find pretty much ANYTHING you’re looking for. The Gifts.com site will allow you to pick the type of person you’re shopping for and help you out with ideas to fit their personality. If you don’t want to shop online, here are a few clever and inexpensive ideas….
– Grab a good photo of the both of you (make sure it’s a photo SHE things she looks good in) and put it in a nice frame for her.
– If she’s into astrology at all, these Juicy necklaces are super cute and less than $50. Get one for her with her zodiac sign on it. They have them at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and probably the Juicy store, too, but here’s a pic….
– Get her tickets to a show or concert and put them in a “Ticket Stub Diary” and wrap it up. That way she can keep ticket stubs of all the places you’ve been and write little stories and memories inside and when you break up she will light it on fire. I’m kidding….sort of. They have them at Borders Books online, so they probably have them in stores, too. Or just google it and there are tons of online stores that have it. Chicks like memories and stuff.
– Post Secret books. That might sound weird, but it’s one of the coolest gifts I’ve ever received. They are very interesting and a good conversation piece. Available at most book stores.
– Who is her favorite band, sports team or celebrity? Get her a piece of memorabilia from an event/movie that is signed by that person or just has some special meaning. Might be slightly expensive, but she’ll love it and the fact that you were thoughtful and remembered what she’s into.
– If your lady likes jewelry she will probably like a Pandora charm bracelet. If you have kids, each kid can pick out a charm for the bracelet they think mom would like and pick one out for her yourself as well. Chicks love when you’ve put a little thought into their gift. You can also get her charms on future occasions/holidays to add to the bracelet. There is a Pandora store inside the Fashion Show Mall and Caesar’s Forum Shops and they have really cute styles for various tastes, not just for moms!
– Does your lady like wine? Get her a wine rack or wine chiller and put a bottle of her favorite wine in it. Is that cheesy?….I don’t think so. It might be a little expensive but you don’t have to pay a lot for a good bottle of wine.
Ok, there are a few thought starters but most importantly, here’s a helpful tip….PAY ATTENTION. If you’re walking through the mall or even Target, make a note of things she admires or picks up and looks at. Does she say “Those boots are SO cute”. Get them for her, idiot. And worst case scenario if you MUST get her a gift card, present it in a thoughtful way. If you get her a Best Buy gift card, pair it with a new CD or DVD so you’re not just handing her a gift card. Getting her a gift card for a clothing store? Put it inside a box with a scarf or bracelet from that store.
And last….FILL HER STOCKING! How often does your stocking get filled and you didn’t put anything in hers?! Even if she doesn’t fill yours, put some fun stuff in hers. Candy, lip balm, lotion, bubble bath, Starbucks gift card, gum, holiday socks, Pez dispenser, lube, mini bottles of booze…..ok, I’m getting carried away, but you get the idea.
Now, all of this is merely MY opinion so you may not agree and maybe your chick hates wine and jewelery. If she’s in to video games, get her the new World of Warcraft or DJ Hero or something and she will probably love it. But hopefully you found something useful to get you started. And if you don’t have a lady in your life, feel free to send all the above mentioned gifts to me. I’ll tell you how thoughtful you are but it won’t get you laid. I know, totally sucks.